Vegan brownies anyone?!
Baked a tray full … gluten free, sugarless, with bananas, cranberries, almonds, and orange peels… wicked and yummy 😋
Soft, gooey, and completely vegan friendly, these chocolate brownies have no egg, sugar or dairy but are still as tasty as ever. This brownie recipe includes instructions on how to make a prune mixture, but for a little shortcut you can use pureed prune baby food instead. Why? It stops the brownies getting too dry – trust us on this one.
- Recipe serves: 16
- Prep Time 25 mins
- Cook Time 30 mins
- 75 g dried pitted dates
- 75 g veg oil
- 150 g xylitol sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 175 g almond meal
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml soya milk
- 50 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180° C, 160° C fan, Gas mark 4.
- Place dates in a heatproof bowl, pour over 5 tablespoons of boiling water and leave to stand for 15-20 minutes.
- Liquidize the mixture using a hand blender until smooth and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate, and mix well together.
- Stir through half of the chocolate then spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm square tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate over the top and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes until well risen.
- Check to see if your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of each half.
- If it comes out clean, leave the cakes in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out and cooling on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.